This form of assignments in Brightspace is meant for scoring and evaluation of a learning activity such as demonstration, presentation, lab test, etc.
No files will be uploaded by the student for an Observed-in-Person assignment.
Observed-in-person assignments can also be added to Content. Students will then only see the description of the assignment and won’t be able to upload any materials.
The Observed-in-Person assignment folder is only accessible to an instructor or a similar role. (unless the ‘Manually by Learner’ is chosen.)
There are three options to mark an “Observed in Person” assignment:
- Automatically on due date – Brightspace ticks the assignment as completed on a pre-set date
- Automatically on evaluation – After having observed the learning activity to be evaluated, graded and/or scored, the instructor opens the ‘Observed in Person’ Assignment folder in the course, adds a score or grade and adds feedback text. As soon as the feedback/score/grade is added, Brightspace marks the assignment as ‘Completed’ in the system.
- Manually by Learner – The student will have to find the assignment in the ‘Assignments tool’ and press a button ‘Mark as complete’.
Click on the + below to learn more about these options.
- When creating a new assignment, select Submission Type to be Observed in person and Marked as completed to be: Automatically on due date.
- After creating the assignment, go to the Restrictions tab, and select the Due Date.
- As the due date/time has passed, Brightspace automatically marks the assignment as ‘Complete.
- When creating a new assignment, select Submission Type to be Observed in person and Marked as completed to be: Automatically on evaluation.
- Once the student has handed in the assignment, you can give the grade by going to Assignments, select the assignment you just created and select Evaluate.
- The instructor can now add the score and/or feedback and select ‘Publish’.
- Brightspace immediately marks the assignment date as completed with the same time/date stamp as the evaluation and feedback were added by the instructor.
- The student finds the assignment folder in the ‘Assingments’ tool and selects ‘Mark as Complete’ to have the assignment completed.