Creating Questions in Quizzes, Surveys and Self-Assessments
There are two ways to create questions in Quizzes, Surveys and Self Assessments. You can add new questions directly, or you can add them to the Question Library and import them into your Quiz, Survey or Self Assessment.
The advantage of using the Question Library is that all questions created there will be saved and can be reused later in any new Survey, or Self-Assessment.
Click the ‘+’ signs to see how to use each method and follow the steps described below to add your questions:
- Go to Course Admin, click Quizzes, Surveys or Self-Assessments and then click on the Quiz, Survey or Self Assessment to which you wish to add a new question. In case you haven’t yet created your Quiz, Survey or Self Assessment, click New and give it a name.
- Click on select Add/Edit Questions
Important: if you create a new Self Assessment you first need to it save it before you can Add/Edit Questions.
- There are different question types from which you can choose from:
- True/False Question
- Multiple Choice Question
- Multi-Select Question
- Written Response Question
- Short Answer Question
- Multi-Short Answer Question
- Fill in the Blanks Question
- Matching Question
- Ordering Question
- Likert Question
For Quizzes and Self-Assessments, there are additional options:
- Arithmetic Questions
- Significant Figures
It is also possible to add a Section. Sections are folders that help you sort questions from the Question Library. It is possible to hide the section title from learners by selecting the Hide Selection Title from students check box when creating or editing a section. Furthermore, it is also possible to Shuffle questions within a section.
In alternative to adding new questions, you can also choose Import and add questions from the Question Library or choose Upload from file.
The Question Library is a central repository that stores and archives questions which can be reused within a course. It allows you to create a variety of questions; organize them into sections (folders) and reuse them in Quizzes, Surveys and Self Assessments.
- Navigate to Course Admin and click on Quizzes, Surveys or Self Assessments.
- Click on the Question Library tab.
- Click on New to make a new Question or Section or on click Import to add previously created questions. When you choose Import you can either selecting Upload from file (a)to upload questions from a .CSV file or Browse Existing Questions (b) to import questions from existing Quizzes, Surveys and Self Assessments.
- Upload from file
- Click on Import and select Upload a File.
- Choose the file you wish to import.
There is a CSV Sample File link which you can click on to download an example of the correct format to use for your questions.
- Save the file as .CSV (Comma delimited) and upload it by clicking on Choose File and selecting it from your computer.
- Once uploaded, click on Save.
Import Existing Questions.
- Change the Source to the Quiz/Survey/Self Assessment you want to import the question(s) from.
- Select the question(s) you want from the source collection.
- Click Add.
- Upload from file
- Click Done Editing Questions.
- Add your questions to a Quiz, Survey or Self Assessment
For most question types you will follow more or less the same steps:
1. Select which type of question(s) you wish to create.
2. When applicable, add a question title and an introductory text. The title is not compulsory since it will only be displayed to the instructor to make finding questions easier; the introductory text box is used to give an introduction or explanation of what the following questions will be about to the student. Otherwise, simply add your question to the Question text area. It is also possible to add an image, by uploading it using the camera button that shows in the editing field.
3. Chose how to scale your questions (if relevant).
4. Add a value (if relevant). Brightspace displays 2 value fields by default but you can add an additional field in case you need more.
5. It is also possible to add Hints or Feedback. For Surveys and Self Assessments, which are not graded, we recommend that you provide feedback comments for each question. You may use feedback comments to indicate correct and incorrect answers, where a correct answer can be found in the course content, and what details an ideal answer should include.
6. You can always preview your questions by clicking the dropdown menu arrow close to its title and selecting Preview.
7. Click Save and New, in case you wish to add another question. Otherwise, click Save.
8. If the next question is almost identical to the one before, you can simply click Save and Copy. This action will create a copy which you can edit accordingly.