How to Use TurningPoint
This page covers the steps for setting up and using TurningPoint 8, including a tutorial on how to create a simple interactive PowerPoint presentation and a troubleshooting section with the most frequently encountered issues.
Setting Up TurningPoint 8
For efficient use of TurningPoint, certain settings are preferred. This section describes user login and software preferences. Furthermore, explanation is presented on how students can access the polling session of a TurningPoint presentation.
- Launch TurningPoint application and Sign In using the TurningPoint login details provided via TOPdesk.
- After logging in, you will see the TurningPoint dashboard.
- Click the Preferences icon located on the bottom right of the dashboard page. A new window will pop up.
- Select PowerPoint from the left menu displayed of the new Preferences pop up window.
- Scroll down to the section Presentation and select Screen Image from the Slide rendering for mobile responses dropdown menu.
- Finalise by clicking Close.
- You can set TurningPoint 8 to automatically check for updates. This will save you from having to manually check for updates.
- In Preferences, click Software on the left menu.
- Check-mark Automatically Check for Updates and Add-In Always Loaded.
- Click Close to save your settings.
There are 2 ways for students to join your interactive polling presentation, via internet applications and or clickers.
1. Polling Using a Mobile Application and or a Web Application
For these type of virtual applications, you need to enable mobile responses and create a session ID which students can then use to join the polling using a mobile and or web application. Please follow these steps to do so:
- On the top right side of your dashboard, click Enable Mobile Responses to set up the session properties
- You can then choose to reserve a personal ID (i.e. your course code) by clicking on Reserve or generate a random ID
- Your session ID will be created once you click Start Session
Students can download the mobile application in Playstore or Appstore and join the polling using the given Session ID.
Students without the mobile application can also join by going to https://ttpoll.eu and entering the given Session ID.
2. Polling Using Clickers
Alternatively, students can use clickers to vote during a polling. In this case, students will need a receiver number to join your presentation. Please follow these steps to retrieve the receiver number:
- Insert the USB receiver in your computer. The receiver device number is generated when the receiver is recognized by the computer.
- Click the receiver number to see the Connection details.
A student can then join your presentation by pressing the following sequence on the clicker:
- GO > [Receiver number, in this example, 41] > GO
- The light of the clicker should turn yellow when a connection is established.
The next titles will guide you through the different steps when opening and creating interactive PowerPoint presentations.
- Start a new PowerPoint Presentation by clicking Start now on the PowerPoint Polling dashboard.
- A new Blank Presentation opens. Select the TurningPoint tab.
- Click New and select from the drop-down menu the type of question you wish to include.
- To follow the example described below, select Multiple Choice.
- Type your question in the top text box. You can include up to 10 possible answers, although more than 5 is often hard to read in the lecture room.
- Configure the question options in the Slide Preferences tab located on the right side of the page. There, you can format bullets, determine whether or not the question allows for multiple responses, and whether to show the responses during or after polling.
- Select the correct answer at the bottom of the Slide Preferences Pane, after which TurningPoint will automatically change the other options to incorrect. The correct answer will be highlighted green, the incorrect answers will be highlighted red.
To make your presentation more interactive, you can include objects via the Objects functionality. In this example we will insert a timer to our slide.
- Click Objects from the main menu.
- Select Countdown and then Square. A counter will be added to your slide bottom.
- The object properties can be edited in the Objects’ Preference tab that shows on the right side of the page. In this case, select Objects and adjust the amount of time the timer should count down.
As mentioned above, when using internet applications, you will need to enable mobile responses to create a session ID. This can also be done after launching PowerPoint in TurningPoint by clicking Mobile responses. In the same way, when using clickers, the receiver number and details can also be retrieved through PowerPoint by clicking Receiver.
Starting a presentation can be done by pressing F5 to enter the presentation mode. However, in case you run multiple tests of the presentation prior to its start, it is advised to Reset the Session by clicking on the reset icon before pressing F5.
- Click Save session to Save the PowerPoint presentation session.
- Saved sessions can also be loaded by going to Manage > Session > Import.
- After saving or loading a session, click on Reports to view the results of the session.
- Here, you can:
- filter the question based on a certain criteria;
- generate statistics;
- export the results to Excel, CSV or HTML.
A1: The reason behind this is still unclear, but presumably has to do with correctly enabling the TurningPoint Add-in in the Powerpoint application. There are thus several things you can try to enable the widget:
a. Make sure that the TurningPoint plugin is activated.
- Open Microsoft PowerPoint and go to File > Options > Add-ins. Here you should see that the TurningPoint plugin is inactive.
- Under Manage, select COM Add-ins and click Go…
- In the new COM Add-ins window, checkmark TurningPoint and click OK. This will automatically relaunch the TurningPoint application. Sign in with your login credentials and verify if the PowerPoint widget is now enabled.
b. If step 1 does not work, try re-installing the TurningPoint application.
A3: To add missing PowerPoint plugins, after launching PowerPoint in TurningPoint 8, navigate to File and then Options.
In the new popup window, select Add-ins as shown in the screenshot below. At the bottom of the page, you can select PowerPoint Add-ins under manage and then click Go. In the new popup window, select Add new and browse to find and select the plugin you want to add
More information about TurningPoint can be found on the webpage of Turning Technologies.