*An instructional video is also available for this topic. Scroll down if you wish to watch the video. *
The Import/Export tool is particularly helpful when instructors want to enroll and unenroll students in groups using a CSV or Excel file. Besides this, the tool makes it possible to quickly download the classlist, so that Instructors can add the information about their groups to an excel file.
Click on the + to expand the various options.
- To export the classlist, go to Collaboration
- Select Group Import/Export tool.
- Select the Download Classlist tab
- Click Download Classlist to download a .CSV file.
- Open the .CSV file you just saved and edit/replace the information corresponding to the groups you wish to create.For example if the GroupCatergory and GroupName columns are empty you can fill these in according to the groups you wish to create.
Do not hesitate to contact the Support desk, if you have any difficulties on this.
To export an existing group category and download the group enrollments:
Groups can be imported into Brightspace using the following procedures:
- Use the Classlist file as a template. Follow the steps described above to download your file. In the .CSV file, add the group category and the group for which the enrollments are meant for.
- You can easily add people to existing groups. You can do that by exporting the group for the specific category. Add new people to the file (get the exact information from the classlist file) and add the already existing category and group names behind their names.
- As a third option, you can also build your own enrollment file (not recommended). The file must be in CSV (comma delimited), excel or txt format. The fields should contain the following structure:
The OrgDefinedID is the student number. This, as well as the group category and name are compulsory.
Once you have your file follow the same steps described above and select Import, instead of Export.
- Click on the text field to add a .CSV or Excel file. Once the file has been uploaded, the upload icon turns into a green icon.
- Click on it to save your file.
You can also use this function to ‘Unenrol students from a group’. Follow the same procedure as described above.
- You can use the export tool to export a file with the group enrollments for the category you wish to unenroll students from, or use the file you used to the Import.
- Edit any of these files only with the information regarding the students you wish to unenroll by, for example, removing the group name and category.
- Upload your file and before saving it and check the box ‘Use the file for unenrolling students’.
- A pop-up window will open. Click to confirm agreement.
- Click on the red icon to save the file.
How to use this to improve your course
The first time you use the tool, you might receive the question if the tool might access your information. Agree to this and check the box ‘Do not ask me again for this application’, if you do not wish to see this notification again in the future.