*An instructional video is also available for this topic. Scroll down if you wish to watch the video. *
Communicating dates and deadlines to students is an important part of any course. Brightspace makes this automatic in many ways. When you create a new assignment and put a deadline on it, that deadline shows up in the Course Calendar.
It is possible to import a Calendar into Brightspace from MyTimeTable using an iCalendar file. For more information on how to synchronize your course calendar to the TU Delft My Timetable, Add Calendar Events (manual and automatic)and use the Manage Dates feature, click on the + below.
Creating a Due Date on an assignment (below) or quiz or other Brightspace Tool will appear automatically in the Course Calendar.
If you add lecture slides, or a video, or other course materials and include a due date, that date gets transferred to the course calendar so that students can see it:
To see how to add a due date click here.
Students will see this information here for your course only, because this course calendar is within your course. However, students can also see all their courses and all their calendars in one view. They can do this, for example, by using the Pulse app from Brightspace, which will show them all the work coming along in the future. This way they can plan ahead if they see many activities and due dates coming up at the same time. We therefore recommend, as an instructor or teaching assistant, that you publish dates, as far as possible, so that students can plan ahead.
- Click on Course Admin and then look for the Calendar link.
- Add a calendar event by clicking Create Event
- Enter in the details, the description, start date, end date and if it’s a recurring item you can also add that, as well as a location.
- Click on Create to finish. That event then shows up in the calendar.
- (optional) You could also Import events, using the iCal format, from other calendaring software.Under Settings you may also Enable Calendar Feeds which enables a private address to be used to subscribe to your calendars via an iCal feed (see image below).
- (optional) You can allow students to subscribe to your course calendar. To do this, click on Subscribe and then share that link with your class.This gives the students the flexibility to integrate your course’s calendar into their own personal ones.
- To adjust the course schedule appearance to your students go to the Settings menu. All the options there are straightforward.
- You can also access the Manage Dates tool available under the Course Admin section, which enables you to view a list of all objects in your course and edit their date availability values.
- Use the filter options to narrow down your list of items by tool, date range, duration, and Calendar status settings.
- Click Done to save your changes.
- For your Course Calendar to be visible within your TU Delft “My Timetable” feature, you need to first manually add the existing Course Calendar as demonstrated in the images below.
- From this moment onward your course will be added to your “My Timetable“.
It is also possible to synchronise timetables from various external calendar services:
- Go to MyTimetable.
- Add the desired timetable with the add timetable button if you did not already do so (make sure you choose the right academic year).
- Click on the download icon and choose iCalendar
You can now import your TimeTable for desired dates (again, make sure to choose the right year because last years’ periods are also there). Choose the desired period and click download to obtain your iCalendar file.
The file will contain all courses that you gave a checkmark in the timetable menu on the right. So, in case you have a few courses in your timetable but only want to export one single course, make sure to uncheck the courses when creating the iCalendar file.
How to use this to improve your course
- We therefore recommend, as an instructor or teaching assistant, that you publish dates, as far as possible, so that students can plan ahead.