Vocareum offers a cloud-based platform for JupyterHub. JupyterHub is the best way to serve Jupyter notebook for multiple users. It is basically a platform for Python programming. Key capabilities of the platform include grading automation, plagiarism detection, providing code feedback, team projects, and peer reviews.
Students will go to an assignment through Brightspace, so there is no need to install an application.
Contact email@example.com to activate Vocareum. Once Vocareum has been made active in your course:
- Go to Content in the Course in Brightspace and click on the module Instructor Area.
- Click on the Vocareum link to access your course in Vocareum.
- Once in Vocareum, you can create your assignments.
To create an assignment in Vocareum, follow these steps:
- Go to the course where you want to create your assignment.
- Go to the tab Edit Assignments.
- Here you can either copy or create a new assignment.
In case you would like to create a new assignment, click New Assignment:
- Fill in the Title for your new assignment.
- Choose the appropriate group (optional).
You can create new Groups by clicking on the New Group-tab
- Click on Save and continue.
- You have now created an assignment. An assignment can have one or more parts, which corresponds to different notebooks within the same assignment.
- Click in the + beneath Parts.
- Fill in a Part Name, it can be the same as the assignment name.
- Underneath the name, there is a drop-down to determine which lab type you want to use. Pick Jupyter Notebook, the other lab types are not allowed.
- Click on Save Part to save the part.
In case you would like to copy an old assignment, click Copy Assignment.
- Select the course that contains the existing assignment that you want to copy.
- Select the assignment you want to copy or select All Assignments to copy all assignments from the course.
- Click on Copy.
Check the Links to relevant help articles about Vocareum to read more about how to setup your assignment.
To link your assignments to your Brightspace course:
- In Vocareum, go to the assignment you want to publish and press Publish. Note that students will not be able to access the assignment.
- In Brightspace, go to the Content tab, click on Existing Activities and then choose Vocareum from the list of tools available.
- A pop-up will appear, where you can choose which assignment you want to add to your course.
- There are two options for each assignment: new tab and iframe. Select new tab.
- The assignment will appear in your course.
- Click on the arrow-down next to the assignments name, and choose Edit Properties in-place.
- Check the Open as External Resource-box.
Links to relevant help articles about Vocareum
Basic course settings:
Installing Python packages:
Managing class sections:
Creating a Jupyter assignment with nbgrader:
Grading of multiple submissions per assignment:
For support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, we will forward your question to the correct place.